Boxing News -- 24 hours/day - Reload often! Continuously updated all day, every day!

Gonzalez shocks Mares

Ringside by Miguel Maravilla
Photos by “Big” Joe Miranda

In his first defense of his WBC featherweight championship, Abner Mares (26-1, 14 KOs), Guadalajara, Mexico, fell to Mexico City's Jhonny Gonzalez (55-8, 47 KOs) Saturday at the Stub Hub Center in Carson, Calif. Gonzalez, a veteran of over 60 fights, scored a shocking first round knockout over the previously unbeaten Mares.

The first round opened with the fighters jabbing away. Later in the round, Gonzalez caught Mares with a solid right. Moments later, Gonzalez tagged him with a flush left hook to the chin that sat Mares down to the canvas. Mares staggered as he got up. Gonzalez continued his assault, connecting with a straight right that knocked down Mares again. Referee Jack Reiss began a ten-count but then stopped the action at 2:05.

"I was treated as a stepping stone for Mares," Gonzalez said. "I proved everyone wrong."

"You have to learn how to win and you have to learn how to lose," said Mares.

Santa Cruz Wins WBC Title over Terrazas

In what was a war while it lasted, WBC Super Bantamweight Champion Victor "Vikingo" Terrazas (37-3-1, 27 KOs), of Guadalajara, Mexico, and the undefeated Leo "El Terremoto" Santa Cruz (25-0-1, 15 KOs) of Lincoln Heights, California, went at it, exchanging punches, resulting in a knockout win for Santa Cruz.

In the opening round, both came out trading on the inside. Santa Cruz connected with his left hook to the body following with straight rights early on as Terrazas stood in the pocket. In round two, Terrazas came out aggressive, landing a left hook to the body as Santa Cruz countered back with a right. Later in the round, a vicious left hook completely closed Terrazas' right eye as Santa Cruz began to tee off. The Viking fought on, despite having a closed eye, but Santa Cruz landed a combination flush to the chin that sent Terrazas to the canvas. Terrazas quickly got up but Santa Cruz landed a short right hand that sent Terrazas to the canvas that had referee Lou Moret stopping the bout at 2:09.

"I wasn't expecting an early knockout," said Santa Cruz, who dedicated the bout to his brother Roberto, who is suffering from Lupus. "Terrazas is a great fighter. We began pressuring in round two when his eye was swollen."

Santa Cruz said he plans to fight a couple more times at 122.

Orozco Dispatches Hernandez in 3

At junior welterweight, San Diego's Antonio Orozco (18-0, 13 KOs) took on Ivan Hernandez (29-4, 2 KOs) of Miami in a scheduled ten-round bout. Orozco came out digging to the body. In the third, a left hook to the body dropped Hernandez. The San Diego fighter continued his attack to the body, scoring another knockdown. Hernandez continued to fight but Orozco's relentless body attack was too much as referee Raul Caiz Sr. stopped the bout at 1:39 of round three.

Joseph Diaz Continues to Shine

2012 U.S Olympian super bantamweight rising star Joseph "JoJo" Diaz (7-0, 5 KOs) of South El Monte, California scored a third round stoppage over Noel Mendoza (6-3-1, 1 KO) in a scheduled six round bout. The 2012 Olympian was brilliant as he tagged Mendoza most of the fight with combos. In the third round, Diaz landed a right hook, knocking down Mendoza. The referee stopped the fight at 1:54.

Breazeale KO Streak Continues

2012 US Olympian heavyweight Anaheim's Dominic Breazeale (6-0, 6 KOs) took on the experienced Lenroy Thomas (16-3, 8 KOs) in a scheduled eight round bout. The bout got off to a quiet start but after repeated low blows by Thomas, things got heated. In round four, Brezeale landed a huge right hand that backed up Thomas. The 2012 Olympian followed with an uppercut, scoring a knockdown when the referee reached a ten count.

Other Bouts

East LA's Julian "El Camaron" Ramirez (9-0, 6 KOs) made quick work of Abraham Rubio (3-1-1, 1KO) in one round of a scheduled six-round featherweight bout. Ramirez bloodied and backed Rubio to the ropes with a flurry as the referee stopped the fight at 2:58 of the first round.

In the opening bout, Lanell Bellows (5-0-1, 4 KOs) won a unanimous decision over Leshon Sims (5-16, 3 KOs). Bellows attacked the body throughout the entire bout, stalking the taller Sims en route to a four-round decision. All three judges scored it 40-36.

Super middleweight Ronald Gavril (6-0, 5 KOs) scored a second round knockout over David Courchaine (2-3, 2 KOs). A crunching left hook to the body by Gavril followed by another body shot dropped Courchaine in the opening round. Gavril continued his attack a huge right hand that floored Courchaine once again as referee Raul Caiz Sr. stop the action at 1:50.

In super bantamweight action, Jesus Ruiz (29-5-5, 21 KOs) of Nogales, Mexico took on a tough Enrique Quevedo (14-6-1, 9KOs) of Los Angeles in a scheduled eight-rounder. Ruiz used the distance, boxing away as the tough Quevedo stood in front early on. Ruiz used combinations as he continued to box away on the aggressive Quevedo who landed the bigger punches. In round six, the referee warned Quevedo for a low blow. Action continued as both traded big punches in round seven. Ruiz landed a huge right hand early on but late in the round, Quevedo connected with a vicious uppercut that rocked Ruiz's head. The two battled it out for eight rounds and in the end, Ruiz boxing proved to be a factor as the judges scored it 80-72, 79-73, and 79-73 in favor of Ruiz.

Guadalajara, Mexico's Rey Vargas (15-0, 13 KOs) stopped Juanito Rubillar (49-22-7, 24 KOs) in four rounds in a featherweight bout. Vargas came out shooting the jab, fighting from a distance, textbook style, and testing out the experienced Rubillar in the opening round. Continuing to box, Vargas began letting his hands loose with combinations. In round two, referee Raul Caiz Jr. warned Rubillar for a low blow. The Mexican fighter teed off with combinations on the tough Rubillar as he kept coming forward despite taking a windmill of punches. In round four, a combination by Vargas followed by a right hand sent Rubillar to the canvas and referee Raul Caiz Jr. waved the bout over at 2:58.

Bonus photos

2013 by